Sergey Kovalev vs. Andre Ward - Rematch Clause is in Place

Sports Discussion
OmegaRed
Top Contributor

Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:01 am

Sergey Kovalev vs. Andre Ward - Rematch Clause is in Place

By Steve Kim

Sergey Kovalev (30-0, 26KOs) defends his light heavyweight titles this weekend at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas against Olympic gold medal winner Andre Ward (30-0, 15KOs).

And according to Kathy Duva (who's company, Main Events, handles the career of Kovalev) there is a rematch clause in place.

"Of course, when the fight was made it was not a mandatory so we have the rights to a rematch if Sergey is not successful and Ward could also ask for a rematch also but it's a little complicated, the clause," said Duva.

Coming into the fight Kovalev is the owner of the WBA, WBO and IBF belts. The fight will be carried by HBO pay-per-view.

"There's no doubt that we wouldn't be doing our jobs if we didn't protect Sergey's titles. It's one of the reasons I worked so hard to get the WBA, WBO and IBF to make this their mandatory so we don't have a mandatory problem coming out of it, so we can make a rematch," she explained to Boxingscene.com

"If Sergey were to lose you'd absolutely see a rematch," Duva added. "If Sergey wins it's not quite as certain."

http://www.boxingscene.com/sergey-koval ... ce--110778
TTO = white privilege & 4 da record, Makin $$$ off mods (IP is everything) @ da expense of dem posting :lol: Aint a goddamn thing u can do even if you change ips or im banned Pre-K..Reks L's. www.live2hustle.net/fam/
pressureworld
Screw Head

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:30 pm

This was one hell of a fight, and one that finally lived up to the hype. Kovalev won the early rounds though sheer force, but Ward adjusted after the fourth punishing the Russian with body shots. I scored it a draw, but It could have went either way. Ward is a living legend. Omega did you check it out?
Dat_Meskin
Screw Head

Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:30 pm

I missed it but saw the replay, a lot of people are saying kovalev won but It was a close fight. Some rounds could've went either way.. The judges just happened to favor ward that day i guess

But considering kovalev was the champ i think ward needed to do more to earn those belts..
bigpthaking361
Music Moderator

Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:11 pm

i had kovalev winning close fight but u gotta beat the champ to be the champ
pressureworld
Screw Head

Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:01 pm

I'm looking forward to them doing it again. Hopefully Ward/Kovalev will motivate De la Hoya to stop acting like a diva, and let Canelo fight GGG.
porrasdee

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:07 pm

I'm a huge Ward fan but I believe he lost the fight. Hopefully the rematch will help Ward prove the refs got it right the first time
Gfr@nk82

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:04 pm

Got my money on Ward