Lil Black - On The Road Again album review by MAR!

From D Town to H Town, all Texas hip hop here
Mixerr
Screw Head

Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:29 pm

This is Michael Mixerr. This album review is going to be about Lil Black's first and only album, ever to hit the BillBoard Charts. Which would be the album On The Road Again. On The Road Again was #79 when it first hit the charts back in 2001 eventually being at #81. Lil Black was one of the first few Austin Hip Hop/Rap artists to hit the BillBoard. (Minus Ciara and Rapid Ric along with others.) (Minus the appearances of charting pop star Ciara, Rapid Ric, along the appearances of Bad Mutha Goose in 1988, Papa Chuk in 1994, and MC Overlord in 1998.)

For those who don't know, Lil Black (known as Nathan Mackey Jr.) was raised in Elgin, a small country town outside of Austin, Texas. He has had 2 records on the "Texas Artist Top 40 Countdown" back in 2000 and 2001 as well as holding down the number 1 spot for 5 straight weeks. (Back On The Road being Song of the Year for 2000.) For those of you who are from Austin, you all may remember that Lil Black had told the story of his life story and how he shamed his family by choosing the street life in the Austin American Statesman front page in 2001. (He made news 1999, 2000, and 2001.) Lil Black believes that his growth and maturity as an artist’s time has come.

The album has the famous Willie Nelson song, Back On The Road for which they both collaborated on. Willie Nelson and Lil Black had done a cover version which had helped boosted Lil Black’s popularity both in 2000 and 2001. This is the most notable famous well-known song off the album.

The song, Look at Me Now, is about his life story and the rocky relationship with his father (Nathan Mackey Sr.). Lil Black had told the story of his life story and how he shamed his family by choosing the street life in the Austin American Statesman which had made the headlines on the front page in 2001.

Tracks such as Game Don't Stop, As Good as It Gets, and Hold On explain the risks of the drug game. It's about coming up really. The song, Look at Me Now, is about his life story and the rocky relationship with his father (Nathan Mackey Sr.) Songs about love such as I'm Diggin You, and One Night Stand featuring Too Short. Along with the party jams, I'm Diggin You, Throw'em Up, Take Somethin', Groove On, and Show Me What You Got. The What Time Is It song with Devin the Dude is awesome!

An example of country rap is this album right here. Think country meets rap. On The Road Again was one of the best albums to drop from the Austin Hip Hop/Rap scene from 2001. A must have for any fan of Texas Music.
I rate this album, On The Road Again, 5/5*****!!
https://mixerrreviews.blogspot.com/
#MixerrReviews is #brehsive!

Michael Mixerr of Mixerr Reviews is now a writer for Bout Dat Online.
3rdcoastclassics
Screw Head

Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:23 pm

Are you sure you reviewed the right album? This record was horrible. I think his other projects were better than this. It just seemed to be too gimmicky.
Mixerr
Screw Head

Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:09 pm

3rdcoastclassics wrote:Are you sure you reviewed the right album? This record was horrible. I think his other projects were better than this. It just seemed to be too gimmicky.
Yes I am sure I reviewed the right album. I already checked the BillBoard Magazine website and On The Road Again did in fact chart. The album charted at #85. I can see why people said this album would be too gimmicky. With artists such as Willie Nelson, Too $hort, ESG, and Devin The Dude featured on this album, Lil Black was looked at or perceived as a sellout. Around The World In A Day, Dark Territory, and We All Gone Die are his best projects next to this one.

https://mixerrreviews.blogspot.com/
#MixerrReviews is #brehsive!

Michael Mixerr of Mixerr Reviews is now a writer for Bout Dat Online.